Farid Noori was just 2 years old when his family was forced to flee from Afghanistan due to the Taliban. Growing up, sport wasn't encouraged but education most definitely was. For a number of years, his school was at a compound of UNICEF tents, but despite the surroundings, everyone valued education. Farid first discovered mountain biking when he took part in a High School exchange programme in the USA. He still studies in America and now hopes to become the first mountain biker from Afghanistan to compete at the Olympics.
- 05:00 Fleeing from the Taliban when he was 2 years old.
- 08:00 What it's like going to school in a UNICEF tent
- 14:00 How he learned to ride a bike in secret when he was in Pakistan
- 20:00 Getting on a plane for the first time and landing in the US for his High School exchange programme
- 26:00 discovering the sport of tennis for the first time and deciding to build a court at a girl's school in Afghanistan
- 33:30 Farid's challenge to try to qualify for the Olympics in mountain biking
- 35:00 The joy of mountain biking for the first time and questioning why it wasn't a popular sport in Afghanistan
- 37:25 We can be a nation of Olympic producing athletes and by walking this journey, I want to pave the way for others
- 39:30 80% of Afghanistan is mountains and they are huge. There are so many unnamed peaks, it's the best playground for bikes
- 42:50 Although there is more tolerance for women's riding, it's not where I want it to be. It's really hard for women to go out and train.
- 46:15 As Afghans, we are strangers in our own country and I hope that we can start to love this country because it's a beautiful place.
Find out more about this week's guest
Farid Noori Instagram
Mountain Bike Afghanistan website
Like what you heard?
Let me know! Connect with Inside Tri Show across Social Media, just search Inside Tri Show or click on the icons below
Thanks to all of the wonderful people who support the show, so I can continue to bring you the best interviews in triathlon every week.
It means a lot to me, especially at the moment.
POWERED BY 33 FUEL
This week's show is powered by 33 Fuel – natural and very yummy sports nutrition. They are shipping as usual, so grab some of their daily Greens, fill your boots with delicious natural, nutty Italian style energy bars and Use the code INSIDETRI33 for a discount at checkout at www.33fuel.com.
Like a pic' n mix of sports nutrition through your letterbox! Listeners can get 20% off all orders or advance sweat tests using the code: INSIDETRI at www.komfuel.co.uk
Find out more about Helen
Head over to Helen's website to find out more about her.
This podcast uses the following third-party services for analysis:
Podcorn - https://podcorn.com/privacy