Sean Conway is a man of extremes. He became the first person to swim from Lands End to John O'Groats. His 4,200 mile triathlon around the coast of Great Britain landed him a World Record. And he's the fastest person to cycle across Europe. He also has a very famous ginger beard.
It was superb to chat to Sean and hear:
- 12:51 How record attempts begin
- 14:20 All about the 3 Fs and why records matter so much
- 23:40 The urgency to make something happen when he was living with his mum in a 1 bedroom flat
- 25:43 Setting off on his Round the World bike ride
- 33.00 The idea behind swimming the length of Britain
- 39:19 Struggling to get sponsorship for his record swim and why it would have been ok for Michael Phelps
- 42:00 How he consumed enough calories when chewing became too hard
- 46:00 Why the fear of failure is such a driving force for him
- 48:44 Lessons he has learned from his failures and successes as a competitive ultra endurance sportsperson
Tri Sharing Wisdom
We want you to help each other to become better athletes by sharing your triathlon tips on social media and we'll get some of the best ones on the podcast too. This week, it's triathlete and coach Nic Dawson who has advice to deal with injury. Get involved with the hashtag #TriSharingWisdom on social media.
Find out more about this week's guest
Sean Conway on Instagram
Sean Conway's website
Sean Conway's Europe or Bust film
Sean Conway's books
Like what you heard?
Let me know! Connect with Inside Tri Show across Social Media, just search Inside Tri Show or click on the icons below
Thanks to all of the wonderful people who support the show, so I can continue to bring you the best interviews in triathlon every week.
It means a lot to me, especially at the moment.
LONG RANGE FUEL
Long Range Fuel is a phenomenally tasty nut butter, enhanced by cutting edge science, to boost your stamina, keep you calm and alert and bolster your resilience. Get 10% off by using the code insidetri10 or go direct via this link.
Supporters of the show
33 Fuel – natural and very yummy sports nutrition. They are shipping as usual, so grab some of their daily Greens, fill your boots with delicious natural, nutty Italian style energy bars and Use the code INSIDETRI33 for a discount at checkout at www.33fuel.com.
Like a pic' n mix of sports nutrition through your letterbox! Listeners can get 20% off all orders or advance sweat tests using the code: INSIDETRI at www.komfuel.co.uk
Find out more about Helen
Head over to Helen's website to find out more about her.